Explore Australian science
Science drives innovation and economic, social and cultural change.
It’s at the heart of the innovations that transform the human condition: vaccines, smart phones, flight and clean energy.
It tells us how our world is changing, and what we can do about it, if we choose to.
It reveals where we, our world, our galaxy, and our Universe came from, and where we’re going.
Stories of Australian Science celebrates discoveries and the people behind them.
We have hundreds of stories from every State and Territory. And we have a host of special collections including:
- How Australian science has changed America
- 30 stories for 30 years of Australia-China science collaboration
- Australia-Japan science collaboration
- Indonesia stories – coming soon with the Australia Indonesia Centre
- Early-career researcher stories and talent – more than 300 Fresh Science stories and media savvy scientists we’ve trained since 1998
- Women in science profiles – winners of Fellowships and prizes over the past decade
- Leaders in science profiles – past winners of the Prime Minister’s Prizes for Science, and other awards such as the CSL Florey medal, Cluines Ross Awards (coming soon)
Explore the stories online using the search function on the right, or look for them in print.
And if you’d like to see your work in the collection take a look at our submission guidelines.
Stories of Australian Science 2015 is now available online
You can use the search tool to locate stories by keyword. Alternatively, click here to see our online table of contents.
Our 2015 collection features more than 50 stories and celebrates the best of the past year’s Australian science: from the underground hunt for dark matter to 3D-printed jet engines; from printed body parts to insulin in plant seeds; from better tasting bread for China to the underlying genetics of epilepsy. And there’s a special feature on Australia Japan collaboration.
We’ve presented the collection to the World Congress of Science Journalists in Korea, and are continuing to distribute 15,000 copies to journalists, science leaders and influencers, embassies, schools, MPs and others in Australia and around the world. Read the full distribution here.
Earlier editions of Stories of Australian Science and our other publications
Over the past nine years, we’ve profiled the breadth and depth of Australian science in our magazines — from astronomy to zoology, climate science to quantum mechanics.
We’ve featured more than 200 stories so far, all of which are available online. You can filter a search by organisation (for all years except 2015), Australian state or field of science using the menus on the left-hand side of this page.